Welcome to my little online journal

I encourage you to read, enjoy, laugh, identify, ask questions, suggest topics, and share your personal anecdotes and comments.

It takes a village...
Powered By Blogger

Reflection of Sunset

Reflection of Sunset
Thousand Islands

Saturday, March 27, 2010

"Swiper, no swiping!"


If you have or know of any children below the age of 5, you might be familiar with 'Dora, the Explorer'. As you can imagine, Swiper's reputation precedes him.

My mother has always been a little light fingered when it came to restaurants. If she liked something, it would end up wrapped in tissues in her pocketbook.
We have an entire set of glasses (previously filled with Manhattans) with a logo for the Red Lantern restaurants.
[Do they even exist anymore?] and really any glass from a restaurant that made the mistake of putting a logo on it. We also have salt and pepper shakers, cloth napkins, and enough sugar and sweet'n'low packets to start our own diner.

Some time ago, my mom would spend the weekend with my brother Bee and his very understanding wife, P-Lee and the grandkids.
When she would come home, we would find all sorts of things in her purse and her overnite bag...children's toys;  hand towels ("Oh, I was wondering where that went", P-Lee said.); soaps; food; tooth brushes; cookies and an assortment of sundry items.
At this point in her life of crime, she rifles thru my room taking odds and ends. When I couldn't find something, like my checkbook, I would go thru her room and surprise!, I would find it. She is surprisingly stealthy when it comes to taking what she wants. We both came home from a visit at my cousin's and I left a few pictures on my bed. Less than five minutes later, one of them was gone. I thought for sure I had dropped it outside. But no, she moves like Cary Grant in "To Catch a Thief". I eventually found it after going thru a pile of her papers.

My roommate thinks I should put a lock on my door, but I feel it keeps her busy. I just hide the checkbook.

1 comment:

Sharpie said...

you should place a few racy things to be found - you know that's what she's really hoping for....