Welcome to my little online journal

I encourage you to read, enjoy, laugh, identify, ask questions, suggest topics, and share your personal anecdotes and comments.

It takes a village...
Powered By Blogger

Reflection of Sunset

Reflection of Sunset
Thousand Islands

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Food


My brother, Tee, lived with my mother on and off forever (mostly on). She did his laundry, cooked and served his food, cleaned up after him, unclogged his toilet, and listened to him as he preached about some sport or game or some other thing she had no interest in hearing about. She would look bored but he never seems to notice.

My mom would take a bite of something and then ask Tee if he wanted it. He would take it and eat it with as much gusto as a person who hadn't eaten in days. She still does this, even today, whenever he is around. Tee has to be reminded repeatedly not to take her food.

When meals are served, my mom's responses are always the same..."this is too much". She says this at each and every meal, day in day out, week after week, month after month, and year after year. Sometimes I can handle it and sometimes I just want to shoot her.

Would now be a good time to say we both have "weight problems"? That we are fluffy, chubby, stout, Rubenesque (for me), big boned, obese or just plain fat...And my other brother Bee seems to be trying to catch up but is really just an amateur at eating.

Relationships with family are complicated. Relationships with food can be even more complicated.

Food, not just limited to sustenance.

No comments: