Welcome to my little online journal

I encourage you to read, enjoy, laugh, identify, ask questions, suggest topics, and share your personal anecdotes and comments.

It takes a village...
Powered By Blogger

Reflection of Sunset

Reflection of Sunset
Thousand Islands

Monday, May 10, 2010

All Dogs Go To Heaven

          This is a picture of baby Peanut in puppy jail. Don't worry, he got off soon after for time served.

 Peanut was almost 17 years old when I had to put him down. Have you ever noticed that there are a lot of ways to say died...euthanized; put to sleep; sent to a farm to live; bought the farm; went to meet his maker; passed over; no longer with us; gone; gave up his ghost; cashed out; pushing up daisies; making the transition and on and on.

The doc had trouble finding a vein...finally, an overdose of anesthetic was given to him. He very quickly stopped breathing and about 5 seconds after that his heart stopped. It took me a long time to come to that decision, but it was time. I have been crying all week, and I miss him but am remembering all the great times we had.

Peanut started getting dementia about 2 or 3 months ago. He was clearly confused, hard of hearing with decreased vision. He had, in a very short period of time developed what my mom has, but her dementia has taken place over years.

We decided not to tell my mother that Peanut had died. She does not seem to notice his absence as he spent a lot of time over the past 6 months, sleeping, under the blankets. (He was always a cave dog). She would not remember what I said.

My mom always thought of the dogs as her 'grandchildren' (which worked out well for me, as I do not have children). She has pictures of them in her room, along with her own children, her brother, her parents and her husband. She received Christmas and Mother's Day cards from the dogs, which by the way, she saved.

When Dee would go out to Long Island to visit her mother, she would take the dogs with her. Dee's mom (Em) is 88. Em instantly fell in love with them and Peanut sat on her lap under the covers, Buster at her feet. She brought a picture of the 'boys' to her church to show her friends. Em is now in a nursing home. She has significant medical problems as well as early dementia...but she remembers her furry grandchildren. She has a photo of the 2 of them in her hospital room. Whenever Dee visits, she asks how her boys are doing. Dee also has chosen not to tell her mother about Peanut's death.

It's funny how our animal companions change our lives, and can make us better people. They teach and train us, not the other way around. They live in the moment and do not hold grudges. Their memories are very short. You know the saying...May we become what our animals think we are. And may we have the patience, tolerance and understanding for those whom depend on us.
Rest in peace, 'Peanut Butter'  forever chasing tennis balls, tree'ing squirrels, and running as fast as he possibly can for no apparent reason (so fast, he would flip over).

Addendum: since the day has been going on, my mother has asked many times about Peanut...I guess I'm going to tell her. I'll see how it turns out and let you know. 
Addendum #2: I told my mom that I had bad news and that Peanut had died. She asked how old he was and said how they (our animal companions) become such a part of the family. Then she said, "Love is love". Sometimes, she's magical.

No comments: